Lacy talks with Holly Cuozzo, a fitness specialist with the Texas Department of Public Safety. At the time of this interview, groceries cost 10% more than they did a year ago. With two teenage boys to feed, Lacy empathizes with other families feeling this impact on her household. Learn how Holly and Lacy approach eating well and economically at home, work and on the go. You’ll be craving Holly’s fried rice recipe at the end!
Holly's Easy Fried Rice Recipe
• 3 ½ cups Brown or White Rice, cooked
• 1 cup Chicken Breast, Ham, Pork, or Tofu, cooked and chopped (optional)
• 2 Eggs, beaten
• 1 cup Mixed Vegetables, cooked and chopped* *use fresh or frozen
• 2 Green Onions, slices
• 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
• Soy Sauce and/or Hot Sauce to taste
Yield: 4 servings
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Heat pan. Add 1 tsp of oil. Add eggs and scramble.
3. Remove cooked eggs and set aside.
4. Add the rest of oil (2 tsp) to pan. Stir fry rice, breaking up lumps by pressing rice against pan.
5. Add cooked protein and/or vegetables. Stir fry until heated.
6. Add green onions, reserved eggs, and sauce to taste. Serve hot.
7. Cover and refrigerate leftovers within two hours.